River Excursion Passenger Steamer built
in 1910 by the Toledo Ship Building Co.,
Toledo, Ohio as Hull #116. Launched May
7, 1910 as STE. CLAIRE for the Detroit,
Windsor & Belle Isle Ferry Co., Detroit,
Michigan. 197’ LOA x 50’ width x 17’6"
depth; 870 GRT, 507 NRT. Powered by a
1083 ihp triple expansion steam engine
and two coal-fired Scotch boilers (later
converted to oil-fired). Built for day
excursions between Detroit and Bob-Lo
Island. Also used on moonlight and
charter trips. Laid up since September
2, 1991 at Nicholson’s Terminal awaiting
a new owner. The text here is from the
Historical Society of Detroit and is
used with permission.
For more on the
click here or the Updates Menu
button at the top of the page.